The Quick Facts
Length of Procedure: About an hour
In or Outpatient Procedure: Inpatient
Thinning hair is a very troubling condition that many women face. You may notice excess hair loss while you brush or shampoo, thinning areas of hair on the crown of your head, or a receding hairline. Danyo Plastic Surgery offers an amazing, safe solution to this common, yet overlooked condition.*
PRP Hair Restoration is a new, non-surgical treatment that uses injections of your own natural Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) to stimulate dormant and thinning hair follicles to help regrow your hair.
In a prospective study, PRP Hair Restoration has shown a significant reduction of hair loss; with the hair count being increased from the average number of 71 hair follicular units to 93 hair follicular units, with additional hair volume and coverage.*
The Science of PRP
PRP is your own natural Platelet Rich Plasma, containing growth factors, stem cells, and essential proteins. These components all play a critical biological role in the cell regeneration process and are provided at concentrated levels in PRP.
PRP therapy has been used for decades in the Regenerative Medicine field for patients with arthritis, injuries, and various musculoskeletal problems. Now, PRP is being used for hair regeneration.
Through inflammation resolution, cell replication, and cell metabolism, hair follicles in the injection sites are stimulated and regenerated. PRP changes inactive hair follicles – or newly implanted hair follicles – to their active phase, which promotes healthy hair growth and improved hair follicle thickness.*
PRP CONTAINS PLATELETS AND STEM CELLS
Platelets release numerous growth factors, including PDGF, TGF-β, VEGF, and SDF-1α30,33 that have been shown to orchestrate the key biological processes, including angiogenesis, inflammation resolution, and tissue regeneration.
Stem cells are at the core of hair follicle stimulation and tissue regeneration process. Platelets release several growth factors, such as SDF-1α, that function to induce migration of stem cells to the damaged tissue.
PRP specific growth factors that contribute to hair growth include:
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)—promotes blood vessel growth, cell replication, skin formation.
- Transforming Growth-Factor-Beta (TGF-b)—promotes growth of matrix between cells, bone metabolism.
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)—promotes blood vessel formation.
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)—promotes cell growth and differentiation, blood vessel formation, collagen formation.
- Fibroblast Growth Factor-2 (FGF-2)—promotes growth of specialized cells and blood vessel formation.
- Insulin Like Growth Factor – (IGF)—a regulator of normal physiology in nearly every type of cell in the body.
PRP Hair Restoration Procedure
- Blood is drawn from your arm just as it would be at any Doctor’s office.
- Local anesthetic is administered to help ease discomfort.
- Your blood is processed in a centrifuge that separates your Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) from your white and red blood cells.
- Your PRP is precisely injected into your scalp and/or eyebrows.
- The remaining PRP is then topically massaged into the injection sites to secure as much growth enhancement as possible.*
We offer PRP Hair Restoration as a two treatment procedure. These treatments are performed 6-8 weeks apart to ensure that you’ll receive the most benefit. Some patients may require additional treatments.
PRP Hair Restoration treatments are always performed by our experienced Registered Nurse, Deborah Geary.
PRP Hair Restoration Maintenance
To maintain healthy hair growth with PRP Hair Restoration, we recommend participating in yearly maintenance.* Maintenance plays an important role in hair restoration; to further encourage hair follicles to stay active and strong.* PRP Hair Restoration maintenance at Danyo Plastic Surgery consists of a check-up every 12 months and additional PRP injections when needed.
Results of PRP
In a prospective study, PRP injections were given to 11 patients suffering from hair loss. A significant reduction of hair loss was observed, with the hair count being increased from the average number of 71 hair follicular units to 93 hair follicular units.* Global pictures also revealed a moderate improvement in hair volume and coverage.* Overall, patient satisfaction was high with a mean result rating of 7.0 on a scale of 1-10.
Is PRP Hair Restoration Right For Me?
Currently, our PRP Hair Restoration treatment is only suitable for women who experience thinning hair, a receding hairline, or the early stages of female pattern hair loss (FPHL).
PRP may not be right for you if you have a medical diagnosis such as platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenia, hypofibrinogenemia, hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute and chronic Infections, chronic liver disease, anticoagulation therapy, chronic skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders.
PRP Hair Restoration can be performed in conjunction with medication such as Minoxidil, DHT blockers, or hair restoration surgery.
Considering it’s exceptional safety profile, low cost, and efficacy, PRP Hair Restoration is an excellent treatment option for female patients with most forms of thinning hair.
PRP Hair Restoration Consultation
If you’ve noticed excess hair loss, thinning areas of hair, or a receding hairline, please contact us to schedule a complimentary consultation. Deborah Geary, RN, will discuss your concerns, conduct a thorough evaluation, and prepare a customized PRP Hair Restoration treatment plan for you.
* Disclaimer: Individual results may vary and specific results are not guaranteed.